These are full of Christmas nostalgia for us because we first had them on our honeymoon in Missouri. When we returned again to Missouri for Christmas '07 we were gifted with this copy of the recipe and with the last roll from that year's batch (which had been secreted away for such aficionados as Mark and me). ;)
and now! I've finally made them. The recipe has such a fun old world feel. Thirteen egg yolks. Pecans. Not tooooooooo sweet. Perfect. January is a jolly month after all.
if you have Nothum descendants in your family, you should make them--they're not too hard! people around you will purr!
if you're not related to a Nothum, what's your oldest family recipe? leave me a comment--this topic really intrigues me!
and finally, my oldest genetic family recipes are: green tomato pie, cobbler, swedish fried rice, rhubarb pie, swiss steak, and grilled cheese sandwiches. (i see all you taye/boones out there smiling at this list!)
6 comments:
hi em!
These sound and look so good? Are you not allowed to share the recipe? I have a number of my grandmother's recipes which my mother typed out for me. Her spaghetti sauce is amazing (and takes an entire day to prepare).
Hi Emily. I finally started a blog and thus am finally reading blogs. Your kids are darling and I love the old family recipe idea. I think I take some of our recipes for granted and it really is fun to think that my mom and grandma and great-grandma all cooked the same things. Our recipes include frozen fruit salad, raspberry strip cookies, flat chicken and pumpkin rolls. Yum.
Grandma Call's rolls and chocolate turtles...I'm afraid the latter might be lost forever if one of us don't muster up the courage to take several hours and two friends to help us make them! So can we have this lovely recipe? Or is it to stay in the family? I'm curious now:)
Wow- I'm glad someone's keeping track of old family recipes, and actually making them too. I've never tried to make anything that my great grandmas made- but I know my great grandma Cripe used to make caramels and my great grandpa Wilkinson used to make something we called "grandpa candy," which is a rice crispy treat with a butterscotch twist. Now do you understand why I have such a sweet tooth? It's in my genes.
I love old family recipes too. Those rolls look delicious. My favorite old family recipe is for my grandma's cherry cordials. However, I am not a good enough cook to pull it off. Hopefully someday.
Post a Comment