1.22.2009

I'm stewing--he doesn't want to kill babies.

I needed to revisit this post and these two articles to see why I think charity, good social action, and reproductive health issues are more complex than "for" or "against." The articles address why funding cannot flippantly be withdrawn from international reproductive aid programs. And if, after reading them, you still feel like saying, simplistically, "he just wants to kill babies," don't teach your five-year-old to say that on the playground.

I'm one who really avoids conflict, so this is hard for me to post, but I am feeling confronted by my inbox and my son's classmates.

5 comments:

Pomona Noltes said...

Thanks for opening my eyes to that stuff, Emily. I was totally unaware. That is so sad. You know I'm with you on this. I went and read your other post (I hadn't seen it before) and just hope that those who don't believe what Obama says will come around to believing and watch the way he's going to turn this country around. Only time will tell.

Anonymous said...

I think it's horrible and bad, bad parenting to tell your innocent children something so disturbing and over-generalized. Abortion is an adult topic and should not be discussed with young children at all! And if it must be discussed, never with hate or brainwashing. I didn't want Obama elected, but now that he is our president, I think people have to respect him as our leader and hope for the best.

The articles you posted were very enlightening. I thought the first article a little too biased against McCain/Palin, but it did a good job describing the need for help in Africa. And the second article was so sad. I think maybe the biggest problem for Americans is that they have no idea what's going on in Africa. I had no idea at all until a few years ago when I read an article about female circumcision - I didn't even know what that was! And the wars and genocides that have gone on, and are still going on, are unbelievable. I feel so sad for the people there.

Aunt Roo said...

Hi! My name is Rachel and I am a friend of Nancy Eagan. I really appreciated your post. I thought it was brilliant. I find so often that I have to bring my friends and family back to reality sometimes when it comes to this topic and I was glad to see that others are working to spread the truth. Good luck, and thanks again.

Lupita said...

Emily, you're awesome. I second the feeling about the whole inbox thing. Argh, pls. make it stop! Anyway, while I'm still ignorant on the subject, I plan on not being by reading up more on this funds policy so thanks for the "start-up" articles. I will read them...later after making dinner.

johnandcourtney said...

Emily- This is Courtney Erickson Brown. Thank you for this post. It drove me crazy when I heard people say that "he kills babies" in the election. It is much more involved than many make it.

On a lighter side, it is fun to see your darling family. Take care.