10.25.2008

Dumpster diving and Why the Dinosaurs Went Extinct.

Doesn't this look like a nice way to go . . .

In my travels as a picking-up-from-school, errand-running mama, I've come across two treasures. Above, the parking garage from the Fisher Price airport of the 70s--you know you have such pleasant memories of the item that it would have caught your eye on a busy street like it did mine. Sweet Houstonians had set it out with their trash and I wavered in their driveway for a few minutes and almost left without it. But the elevator mechanism with pulleys and stop signs and a functional rusty bell--lovely! We may paint some fun details back on, but for now we've wiped it down and enjoyed 3 free days of fun and a very pleasant first afternoon of of ownership: priceless.
And you also know that you have priced an item like the one below but haven't made the *gulp* plunge to purchase one. I found one on the street by Simon's school and swallowed my pride and not-so-discreetly muscled it into the front seat, the back seat being full of children.

Excuse the webcam photo. The husband pictured in the background was predictably pleased to hear that the LARGE unidentifiable object lurking in the front-seat of the car cost: free.ninety-FREE!

11 comments:

The Snead Family said...

very nice steals! My roomates and i used to go dumpster diving as well-for donuts at Krispy kremes! still intact with delicious donuts inside:) Anyway- good to see the kiddos so happy with toys. Love you guys!

Lindsay said...

Score! The vintage Fisher Price thingy would go for some bucks on ebay. I have been trying lately to get an old FP record player, but they can get up to 40 or 50 bucks. Today's toys are not as good as those classics.

Pomona Noltes said...

Wow! My gparents had that toy when I was a kid...it was hours of fun! I'm so glad you kiddos get to enjoy if and for free to boot. Great photo partition, by the way. What finds!

jayna said...

I was almost involved in fisticuffs in CA once over a complete bedroom set that someone had set out as trash. My neighbor (and fellow ward member I might add) was the lucky winner. I guess in bigger cities there are more people to get rid of nice stuff. (In Boise all I ever see is...trahs) So anyways, Kudos!

The Rowes said...

Awesome photo screen. I have been wanting to buy one, but they are like 50 bucks. Cool. I love free stuff... who doesn't... but I think I love it a little more than other people. I know Simon will love playing with the old school Fisher Price toy. The castle, school house and little people are always his favorite at our house. Good job on having the guts to pick up the free stuff!

Unknown said...

Great finds! We too have found some good things in the garbage that were way to hard to pass up! New Yorkers throw away some great things!

Nanna and Papa said...

I keep telling Nanna, I want to get one of those photo screens for downstairs to put the school photos of the kids from the 70's and 80's. Can't believe you actually found one - for free even! Congrats on the FP Airport, as well. Hours and hours of fun for the kids! So happy to hear that we have another seminary teacher in the family! Love you, Papa

Brad and Katie Nolte said...

Emily, I love the photo thing...nice find, but the toy garage almost had me in tears...my Grandma Knight had one that we spent hours playing with when we would go to Utah for family vacations. Hold on to that thing forever!!! Your grandkids can play with it someday!
~Katie

Anonymous said...

You are awesome, Emily. I have major nostalgia over that toy - and yes, I have priced one of those other things too...what luck!

Katie wrestled a recliner into her van when she was 8 months pregnant once - maybe it's something in your water. :)

Audrey said...

Oh a girl after my own heart!

Amanda Jean said...

Nice finds! SWEET! Love Mr. Anglerfish too!