10.02.2008

Did you 'ike your birthday?

When we were a full eight days into Ike-mania, we realized Simon's birthday was fast approaching and that we were unprepared (unless we wanted to give him his 72 hr kit full of slim jims, crackers and instant oatmeal). Bethany and I devised together to give him his birthday while still in Weedhaven. On his birthday three days later in Houston, there was still no prospect of gift-bearing stores being open, or a freezer to keep ice cream, much less functional traffic lights (which is not so important for birthday celebration, you might think, but I vowed to mention it somewhere here in all this post-storm posting!)
I am adorned in Bethany originals, which are delicious, and can be perused here. I know you were wondering, because they look so great in that picture.

Ever since his third b-day when we first moved here, I've always plopped some kind of actual joyous toy on top--a pretty delightful tradition that originated with a Lightning McQueen. Almost forgot this year, but luckily we had gotten him almost an excessive amount of small airplanes that I could embezzle from.


Now here's the sweet Nater, who has participated in some way in every one of Simon's birthdays. Glad it was in person this time--that's a rare gem friendship when you're 5.


Sweaty, half-dressed and bedraggled on the actual birthday in H-town.

Opening Allianna's present, to good results . . .


Happy Birthday to a reformed Chief Chubbamubbas!

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Well well well, of all the delights. Cody is still saying, "No! Baby!" Like, as in, every time we move away from the MT video, he's upset... anyway...

This is a good birthday post. I dig it. Thanks for the nod to my jewelry, btw, but I think it's more the whole gypsy girl vibe that's makin' that picture so rockin'. :) We were so exceedingly delighted to be a part of Simon's b-day festivities, and I did in fact notice a wee rocket shooter launcher in the background of the actual birth-DAY picture of Simon and Alli. Now, was that just a cleverly placed prop or is it really still in use? :)

jayna said...

This blog title made me laugh!

What cute kiddos. And I love the toy on the cake idea!

And seriously- the beautiful jewelry ON a gorgeous lady- it's a winning combination.

Bethany said...

And hey, what do you mean, "reformed?" I don't think I can count... let's see... the 4th and 5th rib. Covered by... skin or something. I'd hardly call that boy "reformed." He's still Chief Chubamubbas to me. :)

Nanna and Papa said...

Hey, I've just discovered leaving comments, and actually signed up to do so! Thanks to your blog, I feel like in some small way I was able to experience Simon's birthday. Thanks, too, for the Ike videos and photos. My favorites are still those of the kids. Love the one of Alli singing to Mary Tessa.
Let's talk via Skype this weekend.
Love you and miss you,
Pappa

Audrey said...

Happy Birthday Simon! The big 5!