9.19.2008

'Ikes!




Hello? How do use this type-y thingy??? This is Laura Ingalls reporting from the little house on the bayou.

Well, actually, I'll be located back there tomorrow. For now, I'm reporting from the Dallas, where we've spent a few days:
  • not using the bathroom in the dark
  • praising and stroking the dishwasher
  • proving I can still use a debit card, single-handedly keeping the Target here afloat with Simon's birthday items, since there are no opportunities for leasurely consumerism in H-town
  • brushing our teeth with sink water
  • washing laundry from the Vomitous Day One post-Ike
  • mostly REALLY REALLY enjoying these Weed people. God bless them every one.
Back home, I'll look forward to . . . um . . . okay, well:

Having a relationship with ALL of my neighbors. Because of the first 5 post-Ike days, I now know 6 new households; we are on first name basis, we have shared things back and forth several times, and when we get back, we'll still have time to talk. Thursday is when power might return and hopefully we won't slunk back into our isolated lives too much. It's been nice standing in our driveway together and dragging tree limbs about and just slowing down and thinking, hmm, how can I be helpful? We have really nice neighbors.
You know, I'm out of practice at this writing thing. Ma' brain's getting all muddled. But I'm glad to be back in the blogisphere briefly. This hurricane has been a neat add-to-the-CV experience.

Enjoy your cyberspace while I'm scrubbing laundry in my tub--I'm actually hoping I get to!

8 comments:

jayna said...

Wow. You totally ROCK this pioneer woman thing! Good luck!

Bethany said...

Hey, I'm glad you're honest. You're 'mostly' enjoying us. A little you're not. Like how we eat sausage and pick our noses and keep you up late at night when you just wish you were sleeping...

Bethany said...

emily said:
actually, no, the "mostly" means that if you were to break down our enjoyment into a pie chart, you'd see something like: 94% weeds, 2% cashew crunch, 1% using a mirror in the light, 3% late night conversation (which still might be weed-colored). ;)

i'm posting this as you, because i'm hacked into your computer . . . potentially very risky for you . . . and because i don't want to have to retype this comment now that i've noticed you're signed in.

Jennifer said...

So glad all is well. Thursday is still a long way off and we're only 90 miles from H-town!

Todd and Heather Moulton said...

Wow, we only had to figure out how to go without one of our two bathroom sinks for an afternoon while Todd replaced part of the "U" shaped pipe thingy underneath! What an adventure for you guys! We've definitely kept you in our thoughts!

Jodie Haney said...

I love how people came out to get to know one another during the storm. I think a lot of good came out of it. I am pretty thankful.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
glad to hear you're back home and all are safe. i think we need to do some family preparedness stuff - your experience has me thinking a lot about that. are you going to write a 'lessons learned' thing - i know katie and i would like that. and in terms of very important things - i wonder if the tom petty show in houston was canceled -
All the best as you get back to a some degree of a normal life! Uncle Brad

Anonymous said...

What a blog. I loved reading that, which is bizarre because it is really dire, but you guys made it fun. I think it's amazing that it takes a hurricane to get to know your neighbors and it inspires me to do better in that arena. I still would love to know the emergency preparedness tidbits of information you have to share with the rest of us that know it's just a matter of time before "the big one" hits here in CA. Love you guys.