3.05.2009

a few foodie items



  • Mary Tessa learned how to sign "more . . . cheese" today.

With that, I really feel like I've given her the life skills to succeed. I was a bit behind teaching her to communicate, but we started with "more" a few weeks ago. It took some getting the hang of. But, "cheese"?! I showed her once and she looked at me like it was a godsend. Her eyes said "you mean there's a symbol for that glorious stuff?! an abstract representation that conveys from one human to the next a meaning--and that meaning is CHEESE?!" Within minutes she was gleefully doing the twisty palms like a champ.


*note: Mary Tessa is not actually pictured here. this gal's pretty cute and she'll do at 11:36pm when the Tess has better things to do.


  • Next, a yogurt question:

Is it just because Houston is nearly tropical that I'm experiencing a cornucopia of new flavors like: blackberry pomegranate, cherry dragonfruit (in smoothie form, for the younger set)blueberry acai, and cherry pomegranate? Add these to the passion fruit and guava and mango that I've been enjoying for some time now. JOY! Are you seeing them too? And these are even mainstream brands like Yoplait and Dannon--I'm not even talking random Co-op products!
***though you know I have nothing against random co-op products.



  • Finally, I'm thinking a lot lately about consuming less energy. Not calories (though that would be good), but electricity and the like, because of this National Geographic article Mark started me on. Walking more, unplugging things, using wind. Let's talk.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Yeah. Mmm. Cheese. Good for MT. You've inducted her into the way of the samuari or something. Honestly, I don't feel like a meal is a meal without cheese. I feel somehow unsatisfied.
Cheese. In fact, once, a kid in my grade won an election by simply stating the fundamental truth: "Cheese is good on all foods." That was it, end of speech and he won. Well, we're discerning politicians in Sequim.
Cheese. Let's even talk about cool cheese... like Muenster... oh now, come now. Muenster cheese is up there.

Gessper. I'm pretty sure that's a French kind of cheese.

jayna said...

I now love your baby like one of my own.

Cheese is synonymous with Babies isn't it? Afterall, babies are made of cheese. (Cottage thighs, anyone?)

Anonymous said...

YES! I notice the yogurt-flavor explosion too! My fridge is well stocked, and I am happier because of it.

Jennifer said...

Who is your energy provider there? We are now in a municipality, so we have no choice (shucks!), but when we lived in H-town, we had Green Mountain Energy and signed up for their all wind plan. Loved the NG article -- thanks for passing that along. So much food for thought and we,too, are constantly trying to make small changes (and it *kills* me that I have to drive my recycling to two different places!). oxox