3.19.2009

City-slickers

We went to the Rodeo last week. As the 4th largest U.S. city, are we the largest to host a rodeo? I saw a woman wearing a cowboy hat on top of an Islamic headscarf. Themes: Culture, carnies, and c-uestioning carnivorism.



The kids got to help produce go from seed to market. Allianna's selling her peaches for $1 and shortly after bought a juice box. Tess thought the juice was pretty tasty too.

Mark and I aren't into that health-food, fresh-from-the-farm stuff. We wanted something of questionable origin fried up in a metal stand. We've now tried Fried Oreos. I'll go back to a funnel cake next time.




Allianna after the fried oreos.
Actually, no, this is because her chosen carnival ride suddenly wasn't working. Drama. Despondency.

After twenty minutes, it was working again. I think that's the recommended time to wait after having fried oreos anyway. I'm always game for a version of the tilt-o-whirl. Mark meanwhile, can't stand twirling around on his own two feet.
Getchyou next year Tess.
A story about the tilt-o-whirl: We only had enough tickets left to go on this ride. The lady operating it was having the worst time. She had to keep it running 3x too long for the people before us because her husband had gone to get a soda and taken the key to the doors to let people out of their dragons. So people were getting irate, queasy, and she was flustered and Mark noticed she loaded kids on without shutting their door and started the ride and a little kid was about to tumble out. He told her and she quickly hit the RED emergency stop button. And then let me on for free. So then, we had enough for the kids to go on this car ride. Poor lady. Hard life. I can hardly stand an hour of carnival, much less a whole lifetime.





Deja vu at the pig races.






There is an area called the Birthing Center. Initially, I was fascinated and thought this fit with my passion for and hobby of learning about childbirth. As I watched a cow labor for 20 minutes (with a crowd of 75 other people) I began to get really uncomfortable. Here she was, in an enormous very LOUD arena, surrounded on three sides by hordes of people staring at her and with bright flourescent lights above her. It felt very wrong and I decided to make a personal statement by walking away from it. What horrible conditions to labor under (right, ladies?)!!!!!
I wasn't relieved by where I went to next. It was sow solitary confinement. Here 500 pound sows are made to lay on metal racks on their sides for 2 days before birth, DURING LABOR, and for 2 weeks after. There are bars right next to them on either side, so they can't move. Mark approached the pig rancher (?) with our questions and she said they were placed like that so they wouldn't roll over and crush their piglets (A bit odd, seeing as we've breed them to be 500 lbs!). It's been a week and we're both still really disturbed by it. It just feels like there has to be a more respectful way to care for animals (even if we plan to consume them). The mentality of "they're just a dumb animal who doesn't mind and it would be more trouble to do it any other way" just seems too pervasive. After watching sheep prepare for the show arena and have their walk corrected by a jab in the anus, I'm not sure that we'll be going back to the rodeo. And we didn't even see a thing that goes on inside the big arena with the bull-riding and such.
Mark Says: What would happen if the public learned, for example, that panda bears were kept in 2 by 4 foot metal pens before and after birth for 3 weeks total?! It would be the only thing everyone talked about! It would be on the radio. There would be legislation. But for cows? Pigs? Chickens? I'm not sure what I am saying, but it has made me think a little bit more about how much livestock I need consume, or at least which producers I buy from. I understand that California has some pretty humane animal husbandry rules and that you can choose at the grocery store which kind of meat and poultry to consume. Having said all this I am a total hypocrite because I ate at Red Robin tonight! Perhaps I won't be a hypocrite if I don't eat anymore beef for seven days or something like that. Anyway, just thinking ... Emily, by the way, had a garden burger.
Finally, a simple, enjoyable dancing video:

8 comments:

Pomona Noltes said...

Great post. So...my fave parts -- Seconds 6 and 7 of Alli's dance, Simon's long straight perfect hair and the fact that he is getting tall, Tess's VERY blue eyes, the remark about Red Robin from Mark, the fact that Emily is a grown woman and can still get on a tilt a whirl.

The Rowes said...

What a great post.... I loved it! Very thought provoking about animals. I'm glad I was born a human. Sounds like you had a great and not so great time at the rodeo. I think we are taking this year off from going... last year was really fun. Emma keeps asking me when we are going to go to the rodeo and ride the rides. Maybe Simon and Alli can feel her in on their experiences. See you soon.

jayna said...

I hate rodeos. Along with circuses. And most zoos.

Wrong, wrong, sick and wrong.

Especially Boise. Where it snows. Now we have Giraffes. Where it snows.

It does not snow where Giraffes are meant to live.

That is my rant for now.

Natalie said...

I actually love zoos... they are really fun to visit and the animals seem pretty happy to me... except maybe the giraffes. I am troubled by the way we treat the animals we eat. Lets face it zoo animals have a million times better environment than most farm animals.

But I can't bring myself to give up meat, or eggs, or cheese. ( Though I am paying a little more attention to "free range" vs caged.) Something should really be done about it but at the same time I would be uncomfortable with forcing all farms to go free range because I think it would put a lot of people out of business and then we'd have shortages and prices would skyrocket or something. So maybe if they can take baby steps (like maybe start with a different birthing system) and in 100 years we can be a lot more humane... maybe.

Lindsay said...

I LOVE how Alli's ponytail is in a perfect spiral. Also, great dance moves. I'm really disturbed about the birthing center. That's just awful. CA did have something on the ballot in Nov. about animal treatment and the size of their cages, etc. Made me think. I feel horrible if I end up throwing meat away. Good job, Mark, for saving a life on the tilt-o-whirl. I'm a little worried that you put the children (and yourself) on there, but I guess you survived. Ever since adulthood, carnival rides give me major anxiety attacks.

Bethany said...

Ok. Something has happened. Your picture taking has upped itself a notch.
Favorites include, but are not limited to-LOVING the one of MT in her stroller with her tongue out. LOVING it. I am voting for it to take over for the current one on the sidebar. Loving it. TOO TOO cute.
Secondly, loving the Alli dejection shot. Ha ha ha ha haha, I love how even her belly is stuck out in dejection.
And finally, GREAT shot of MT watching everyone else on the ride. Total perspective shot, right there, that I can ONLY assume we must give credit to Mark for. Really makes you FEEL what it must be like from her angle. Awesome.
And the bum shakin' on the dance video? Please. Like I'm not going to love that.
Wonderful, glad you had a great time and it's good that you've tried rare fried delicacies. That's unique to Tejas, you know, and you would have missed out on part of the experience if you hadn't tried it. Too bad you didn't get what Ryan tried once... a NEEEEEAAAAASTY fat hot dog, coated in cheese, then wrapped in a tortilla, then DEEEEEEEEEEEP fried. Well. Let's say he hasn't been the same man since.
Cheers and happy birthday also! :)

Nancy said...

Jaron loved the dancing. Especially the bum jiggles.

Sheralie said...

Thank you for the thoughts about animals and for making me feel like I was at the rodeo! Even though I never made it there in the years we lived in Houston. We will have to come back. :)