8.29.2007

What would you do?












So I'm wrestling with a decision. One of Mark's co-workers has asked if I could watch their 2



month old baby for a few months. Here are the details of the offer. I'd watch her from 8:30-6:30 (10 hours, yikes?) monday-friday. I'd get $700/month (though I will be asking for more if I really do it). It would be during October, probably not November, and then again for two weeks in December--so not permanent. My kids are barely 4 and almost 2. There are a jillion pros and cons, but I'm just going to open it up to opinions. Am I crazy to consider? Are some things not worth whatever money, or would it be easy street with an immobile sweet thing?






Oh, and yes, of course, I am pregnant. :) Just finished the first trimester (or almost). Been saving a bunch of stories of my prego mindlessness (which will come soon). So that would be a factor . . . though I think sacrifices that will come to my family from one of their own will be different than a babysitting charge, but, a good dry run perhaps.
Any of my local gals want to split the job with me???

8 comments:

Emma said...

Congratulations, on the pregnancy that is. The baby sitting job is tempting. Talk to Mindy who did the same thing (while expecting). The extra income is nice, and maybe sharing the job will save your sanity. Good luck!

Gauderio said...

Congrats on your pregnancy. Jaymie told me the other day that one of the primary kids came in and told her, "My mommy has a baby in her tummy!" I guess now I know who spilt the beans.

Jodie Haney said...

Wonderful news for your family! Yea for Baby #3!
I wouldn't take the job. Talk to Mindy.

lyn said...

Congrats on your pregnancy!

It sounds like you've already made up your mind babysitting - that it isn't something that you're willing to do. I'm a working mom, and was a single mom for many years (4+ years with a very little child), so I have a little different perspective on this than most Mormon women....I don't know how well the co-worker knows you - but, if I were to ask someone to watch my child it would be for one of two reasons: 1) I am really in a bind, or 2) I really respect the people who I've asked and that is a home that I want my child in. It's not easy being a working mom - regardless of circumstances - and it is very important (essential!) to know that your child is going to be in an environment where they will be loved and nurtured - not where they might be resented or considered a sacrifice.

Also, $700/month is a pretty good rate for home care - especially for non-licensed/insured care. High-end daycares run ~$950/month right now (for infant care)....low-end daycares are ~$550/month - and daycares are typically "open" 6am to 6:30pm. At high-end daycares, the infant:teacher ratio is 4:1 - if it is any higher (up to 6 is state law, I think), then it really isn't high-end care! Nannies start at $250/week (up for $500/week for super experienced nannies) - so $1000+/month, but Nannies come to the house (often for 10 hours+) and are fully dedicated to one/two child(ren) ....plus, most nannies are taking care of light cleaning, laundry for the child, shopping, etc. Nannies tend to be most expensive, then daycares, then home based. And usually, in a home based environment, the care provider is licensed by the state, insured, inspected, etc.

If money is a sticking point in all of this (i.e. the money seems to small for the job), then it probably really isn't about the money....

Sorry for my long rambling comment - but being on the "other side" I do have some opinions about care!!

Nancy said...

Congrats on the pregnancy! I'd love to give you some advice but I'm drowning single parenting my 1 child (Aaron's in Poland for a month!) so I really have no comment. Good luck in your decision though. If my brain functioned right now, I'd think... and then give you some of my thoughts. But it's obviously not working because my child has drained the life (and milk) out of me and I can barely finish my thought. What was I writing about?

Audrey said...

Wow! Sounds like a lot of fun. I have started watching a little boy myself on Tue. and Thur. nights fron 7 to 10:30. Not to bad when the child goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:00. So I am being paid to allow another child to sleep in my childrens room for a few hours. It's great, and a little extra money is always nice! But all day, every day. Sounds like you will be bound to your house for a month. I would go nuts! Let me know if you need someone to split the time with you, we may be able to work something out between a few ladies.

Unknown said...

Wow Emily, congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for your new baby! I'm very happy for you. I could probably split up the time with you, if you want.