6.08.2009

Up with produce, down with caterpillars! Garden Update

One of my trusty laborers.
  • We've consumed: basil, cilantro, and pinkynail-sized lettuce leaves (just couldn't wait on that one).

  • Prospering are: zucchini (took two sowings), cucumbers, cantaloupe, Simon's Pre-K lima bean and tomatoes (x3).

  • The "Sprouting Finally" Award goes to: bell peppers.



  • Fading inexplicabley are: peas, carrots!?, and possibly rosemary.
  • Being preyed upon by !@#$%^&*$^#-ed caterpillars with reckless abandon are the kids' sunflowers. I admit I've attached a lot of romantic notions to these sunflowers. I've wanted to grow dinner plate sized ones ever since my elementary school held a summer long sunflower contest and kids like Pat Byron came back in the fall with enormous sunflower heads in a paper bag which they then got to display to the entire student body. Thousands of beautiful striped black-and-white seeds. All different shapes and patterns! But I digress . . .
  • Confessions: I've used Preen (organic--prevents weeds and other from making roots with some corn derivative), and Caterpillar Killer (not recognized by the State of California . . . you know what that means . . . but hey, before you call me a gardener without principles, I'd rather have some plants at the end of this--PESKY little grey things were even taking down the zucchini. The indomitable zucchini zucchinius! One of the WASTEFUL creatures lopped the top off of a sunflower sprout--killing it--and then left it there UNCONSUMED. not. to. be. tolerated.



So, what do you do for your rosemary and peas?

7 comments:

Bethany said...

"Pre-K lima bean"? Are you saying to me that you are willingly growing *lima* beans and intend to consume them? On purpose?
I have no gardening advice. Or commiseration, really, since Ryan is in charge of ours. Yup, I'm a waster of a wife who never chooses to be out gardening in the sweaty hot. So good for you, friend1

Bethany said...

That 'friend1' was of course intended to be 'friend!" shift didn't quite take.

Natalie said...

Your garden looks great!

Diatomacious (I'm sure I'm spelling this wrong.) Earth is a natural crawling bug killer. It might be hard to find though- only Zamzows has it here. We've used very large amounts to kill bill bugs and ants. We'll be spraying our corn with a synthetic bug spray in a few months though. We tried to be earth friendly last year and our corn had earwigs like crazy.

Lindsay said...

Wowzers, you have all that stuff in that garden box? Nice.
I have no help to offer. I don't know the first thing about gardening. Matt said he wants to try one next year, but now that I hear about all the bugs I'm not sure I can get on board with that.

Scott Fackrell Website said...

It is looking so good! Wow! Very impressed all around.

Anna Min said...

I'm going crazy with the bugs and I think I might break down and spray the non-earth friendly bug spray.
Better for bugs to perish than a whole nation...I mean garden to dwindle in brown leaves and no fruit.

Todd and Heather Moulton said...

I'm so proud of your gardening efforts! I hear you with the woes to creatures that consume your plants...I finally went to an enrichment class and learned all of these organic pesticides, the ones that only deter the bad bugs and not the good ones. Well, I guess I made too strong of a concoction and totally wiped out my marigolds. Oh well, the tomatoes and zucchinis are still going strong. Carry on!