6.17.2009

spanked them all soundly and sent them to bed


There was an old woman
Who lived in a shoe,
She had so many children
She knew not what to do.
So she gave them some broth*
Without any bread*,
And whipped them all soundly,
And sent them to bed.

*pancakes, vegetables


I never used to get this poem. The sound spanking seemed so out of nowhere.


But it was really after 7 straight hours of repeating over and over to people who don't listen: "stopitLEAVETHEBABYALONEnoyoucan'twatchtv

LETTHEBABYPLAYWITHYOUpleasecleanupDON'TSTICKYOURBUMATPEOPLEpleasestopwhiningGETOUTOFMYKITCHENIFYOU'RECRYINGcleanup!NOICAN'TPLAYWITHYOU" which had gone almost completely unheeded. guuuh!


so, one looks at her tornadoed house and decides that since, under no conditions is she going to take this brood to the grocery store even though the fridge is bare, it will be a "pancakes and to bed by 6:30" plan of attack.


course, after our sugarcharged dinner we're all feeling much better. except for the house. the children are gleefully marching around in a parade. for now. no. wait. one's having a meltdown. time for the takedown.


so i guess i'm just writing this to capture my "a-hah." To capture my understanding that--even though there was plenty of tattling and whining on my leg--I probably missed quite a few misdeeds and got very little response to the ones I tried to negotiate/referee. So "spank them all soundly and send them to bed" should pretty much cover it.


Oh, and Tess learned to climb up on the table today.


Don't worry, I rebound quickly. I'm feeling better now. The ones who can talk back are all out of earshot playing some secret game. Mary just climbed up on a stool next to me and whacked me five times on the head. And almost fell off . . .

9 comments:

jayna said...

We were living the same life today sister, let me tell you...

The Pooley Tribe said...

There is nothing a sound spanking can't solve. And I'm curious, what vegetables go with pancakes?

The Pooley Tribe said...

Oh wait, I just got it. WITHOUT vegetables, that makes more sense. I just couldn't fathom what veggie you would pair with syrup.

Bethany said...

Okay, A.) I do believe that's the precise same picture that accompanied my nursery rhymes book. Classic.
B.) I LOVE to hear that you, even you, EVEN YOU have days like that. C.) We, too have a rule in our house. It's called "No Bumming." I'm pleased to hear that the posterior thrust is a problem in your house, too. I'm going to post about "no bumming" someday.
Glad everyone survived. And in my experience a sound spanking is healthy sometimes.

Emma said...

Some days are like that huh?

Alanna said...

Yeah, that nursery rhyme was TRULY written for children's mothers, not the children themselves, wasn't it! It's a secret little message hidden in mother goose books to remind all mothers (who are finally managing to read a bedtime story) that they aren't the only one whose been there! I definitely have. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Anonymous said...

We eat pancakes (or waffles, cold cereal, etc.) all the time for dinner! Sometimes we eat nothing, just cause I'm so mad. Just today, Ben dumped black paint all over the kitchen and Alex clogged the bathroom sink with wet paper towels. Instead of sending KC to the store tonight, he'll be off to Lowes for an auger.

Lindsay said...

I feel your pain, Sista. Sometimes I feel like I'm serving time.

Amanda Jean said...

Very enjoyable story. I too have been there, and I only have two (adorable) little monsters.