Now, here are a few things that I know now, and I want to remember:
1. I found out recently that my great-grandma Nora Amelia Taje was a midwife. She was born in Norway and attended births in South Dakota. Since I want to be a midwife, it was exciting to find out about this link--I would've liked to have known her and look forward to talking to her someday. In the meantime, I'm glad to know that midwifery's in my genes (spiritual ones too!).
2. My grandma Zelda Lorraine Taye had measles as a young teenager and never knew whether she'd be able to have children. Starting at 27-28 she was able to have four (my dad among them), never knowing if each would be the last. I admire her earnest desire for motherhood, which she expresses to this day, at age 93.
3. My mom adores having custard popovers with her rhubarb sauce! I talked to her tonight and she was so delighted about a night spent with the pair. :) Rhubarb is also in my genes. Ahhhh, yum.
My mom can also spell ANY word--just try her. Why don't you leave a comment with your favorite misspelling of a word in it? It will be like a little pop quiz fun for her. :)
4. I have a mothering trick. Maybe you know it too. But if not! I discovered with Simon that when I'm rocking him in my arms to sleep, he can't keep resisting if I let a little light track back and forth over his eyes. Like the light trickling through the window blinds or from the nightlight. Dark, light light, dark, light, dark . . . . can't. fight. sleep. I call it eye-tiring, which I learned about in childbirth class, but I've found more effective for babies. It works great on Tess too, but I honestly can't remember with Allianna (shame. I also can't remember her first word, but we all claim it to be "daddy"--perhaps I should check the blog archives).
5. I'm enjoying this post so much I have Bluebell ice cream melting all over my counter. woops. One flavor is Groom's Cake, a concept I only heard of this week--timing!
6. I'm back in the Sinfonietta as of tonight. I adore my husband. The sound of wooden instruments being brought into position, exposed viola melodies, cello/viola comraderie: these are a few of my favorite things. And having to figure out how fast to play a dotted eighth rhythm in a 4/4 measure conducted in 8 (that sentence is for you to decipher, Nancy. Shostakovich 5th.)
5 comments:
You have to be a special kind of person to like rhubarb... I've actually never heard of someone liking it before now. chrysanthimum
After I had The Great Car Accident of 2000, I remember thinking very seriously about how to spell "baby." Now, why would we spell it "baby" when "maybe" has a y. I was convinced for awhile that we must spell "baby" like "baybe." I asked my mom and Karen about it one night. They laughed at me.
And when I was young, "very" was a real trouble for me. Why should "very" only have one r, whilst "berry" gets to enjoy 2?
And this was a pleasant post for me. I like to know random what you're thinking. And, you could have a *great* female name if you work the names of those grammas... I mean, if you ever have another kid, which I tell you I'M not going to... but I'm just sayin'.
Yeah. Nora Lorraine. Or Amelia Lorraine.
Or just Somil. My word veri.
Somil Adiate. The next word veri that popped up. But I swear I won't post any other comments even if the most FABULOUS word veri pops up when I post this one. Okay. Have a good day. I've got bookoo (I don't care how you spell that) family in town, so we'll catch up sometime next week, hm?
Emily,
I have never had rhubarb. I don't even know what it looks like. Where do you even get it? Please advise.
Post a Comment