2.26.2009

whatcha gonna do when they come for you


hello. it's possible that i may not have control of my digestive system within the next 24 hours. bad boy viruses are making the rounds among us, so i leave you with this to ponder in my (possible) absence:


things that happened today that are pretty significant:

> Simon's first tooth fell out. little bottom one. while we were in the car. we'd been waiting all week. he hasn't been eating because of it for 2 days (or is that because of the entertainment his stomach's going to bring us tonight . . . we shall see). luckily, he has a few engagements for it tomorrow (mainly to show a kooky substitute teacher and of course select classmates) so the tooth fairy has a chance to get her self in order and get a few paper bills in her possession. or one paper bill. he was muttering something in the car about "now i get TWO DOLLARS for every tooth!" and i'm sure i never committed to that. sure is a cute little tooth in a dish on my counter, though.


>while i was doing my late-night quite-by-myself dishes (being the only one in good health who doesn't wear diapers), A plastic baby SPOON JUMPED OUT OF THE DISPOSAL. it went seriously a foot and a half in the air above the sink. be still my heart. i found joy in this.


>i found out that while i seek the comfort of a fellow human when i've got to . . . ahem . . . throw-up . . . mark is quite the opposite. he meekly growls "go away" and i don't have to feel guilty going back to bed and to sleep. he still recalls with shock how when we'd only been married a few months i called him to our tiny moldy bathroom to witness me being attacked from all sides by my digestive system. he was very sweet though and didn't even tell me he was shocked until a few years later. washing out the tub multiple times for me--now that's love. i'm going to go make him some green jello.


things i need to do before i'm nauseated:


>start washing a massive pail of poopy cloth diapers. i don't want to have to think about explaining how to do it while sick. ain't nobody happy if healthy momma doesn't take care of this now.

>finish the book for bookclub that started 3 hours ago

>plan a basket worth $100-150 for simon's school auction. i have utterly no interest in doing this. surely soliciting donations and decorating a basket with a cutesy theme would be some other parent's dream. fellow room mom, where are you? i thought room parenting was cupcakes and cheap construction paper creations.

>eat a carribean smoothie bar that i bought for the sickies but they all went to bed without partaking.

>overcome my fear of toads and stray houstonians and take out the trash

>confession: i don't recycle when there's illness like this going on. "hypocrite. Earth's fair weather friend." go ahead and say it.

>sleep. i don't know if i'm invited to a 3am toilet party or not. alli had one on monday (3am). mark's was on thursday (4am). and simon's feverish little body seemed to have it's heart set on something tonight.





i feel fine.

10 comments:

Pomona Noltes said...

You're a good writer, Em. As pathetic as the content was, it was enjoyable to read. So glad you still feel well. We will keep you all in our prayers. Can't believe Simon lost a tooth already. Tell him Char still doesn't have a loose one to report! A buck is plenty, by the way. Don't make us other tooth fairies look bad. Please tell me why you would choose to hurl in a tub instead of a toilet, Emily. ??

Bethany said...

Dude. Why didn't you call me? We can work over many of those issues. The basket? Whatever that is, I'm sure we can work through that.
Are you doing cloth diapers again? How did I not know this? Seems like a reasonable time for earth to take a few for the team-get a pack of disposables, man! And want my recycling confession? If Ryan doesn't bring the recycling bin close enough to the garage door, sometimes that makes the difference between "recycled" and "the garbage can is so much closer." So there.

Use your best "gisom." I'm sure you'll be fine.
Or "gisom" smoothie, that'll make you fine.
Or, "GISOM!" The tooth fairy was here!

Bethany said...

Skunpick! The tooth fairy was here, but only left me ONE DOLLAR!

Oh, dude, I better NEVER tell Nathan that tooth fairies pay because he'll be knocking his teeth out left and right. He's always looking for a way to earn some money. One day he went out in the backyard, "skunpick"-ed some of our beautiful backyard weeds and told me he was going to go sell them to the neighbors for $12. Too bad they smelled like "skunpick." He watched Max and Ruby once where they had a "rummage sale." He started sorting his toys immediately trying to figure out what he could sell at his rummage sale. Too bad that at Max and Ruby's sale, the grandma was the only one who bought anything and we don't have a grandma near enough. So, Nathan's idea was "skunpick"-ed again. Anyway, the little "skunpick" has many money making ideas, but the toothfairy hasn't been one of them... yet.

When are we going to have our word verification contest? And what am I going to win after I win it? I wrote this whole comment because after I finished my first one, I saw that the next word was "skunpick" and how could I resist?

Bethany said...

Shally. Now that's too easy. I'm not even going to start. It's almost 5 in the morning. I'm going to try to go back to sleep and I'm not even going to LOOK at the word they offer me when I publish THIS comment.
Sorry, everyone else who reads this blog. But sometimes you just want to talk to or at someone during the 4 o'clock hour and you just can't close your shally little mouth.

jayna said...

So glad you're back. Not so glad to hear of the horrors of illness.

And remember: Friends don't let friends recycle OR use cloth diapers when viruses strike.

I find myself at once appalled and in awe.

Good luck. and good night.

Lindsay said...

Oh my. I'm so sorry for the sick state you are all in - or about to be in (hopefully not)! Cloth diapers? Horrible. I think that mitigates your couple of days on non-recycling. Good luck with the gift basket. If you have Cost Plus/World market around, I think that's the best gift basket-y store. Feel better- and I'm w/ Aimee...aim for the toilet.

The Rowes said...

It's always fun (reassuring) to read other moms' blogs and realize that we are all going through many of the same experiences. Weather it be illness or mishaps with the garbage disposal, it's fun to read about it. Just yesterday, I was talking on the phone while doing dishes (not a good idea) and I forgot to check the disposal. One of my 1/3 cup measuring cups was in there. I turned on the disposal and got quite a fright when the handle shot out at me. Good times! Hope you all get better soon. Tell Simon, the tooth fairy only gives a dollar per tooth. That's crazy he already lost a tooth. I wonder when Emma will. No rush... of course. You guys take care and see you Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about all the illness. I always hurl in the tub too, don't feel bad. It's much more appealing than a stinky toilet.

I understand you about the auction basket...only I'm in charge of two, and Zach's teacher has requested that I find/build a bookcase instead of using a basket, so the kids can paint it with their thumbprints. Why me?

Anonymous said...

ps...you missed a fun bookclub! Next month, we're reading These Is My Words and The Last Lecture.

Nancy said...

We had the throw-ups about a month ago. I decided that the kitchen sink is the best place to throw up. Although I can see the efficiency of the tub. The bathroom sink also works well. Now we're on to bronchitis. Not fun. Hope the bug passes by you.