7.15.2007

You will need to eat this.


Hello all my dearly beloved. I have something that you need to make this week. You are not supposed to pass this by. It is called Moo Shu Pork Pockets. You are thinking that is a boring title, I know. I passed by it for over a year myself. Desperation and complete boredom with everything I have ever cooked caused me to try it. It has the best ingredients and a neat look. You will be preparing a regular weeknight dinner and then suddenly feel romantical thoughts as you roll the pockets up for your Date. You realize after not much effort that it's going to be really good and the kind of thing people with time and resources and taste make. You make this and your night becomes instantly a Date Night. And I quote Mark (as I set down his plate) "Oh wow, I've been waiting 5 years for you to cook something like this! You've finally done it." [Two disclaimers: 1-He thought it was fried. 2-Mark always raves about my cooking. So for him to put this as the ultimate dish of our marriage . . . big compliment.]


Oh, you are thinking, sure, the grownups will eat it, but a tortilla with bean sprouts and ground pork with gingersnap crumbs and etcetera is not going to cut it for the childrens. So, enter, the Jasmine Rice Sundaes. Also, they should have 1/4 of a Pocket, appetizer style--they'll eat something from it. And they'll be excited that you've given them a sharp implement (i.e. toothpick) without any coercion.


You will need to acquire a few new sauces possibly. But it will be good for your family. Hoisin sauce--this is an Asian dipping sauce that your family needs to have access to starting tomorrow. Also, duck sauce (don't worry, those who are slightly vegetarian inclined like me--its main ingredient is apricots). Toasted sesame seeds. All affordably priced at Fiesta--which is an entirely different endorsement post that I'll make soon.


Thanks Rach--any thing she concocts gets a green light to change things up on our dinner table. Let her take you on some culinary risks!


OH, AND ON CLOSER LOOK YOU NEED TO CHANGE THIS RECIPE A LITTLE FROM THE LINK!: MY BOOK SAYS USE A CAN OF WATER CHESNUTS (drained and chopped) in with the ground pork instead of the cabbage/coleslaw. also, it did not have the cabbage inside the tortillas. hey, you go with what you want, ok?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily - Funny stuff. I believe that, as a family, we really do need more sauces. I don't think another sauce would do anything but good around here.
-Brad

Ginger said...

I'm scared of pork (preparing it, not eating it). This post has inspired me though and I just might get up the courage to try it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oooo...this is something I'd usually not make, but you've convinced me! I've been looking for an excuse to buy hoisin sauce (really, I have!)

Anonymous said...

Emily~ I too am a huge Rachel Ray fan! After reading of your praises of this recipe my friend (whose name is also Rachel) and I made the pancakes. They were yum-o!!! In other news, after getting a haircut at the University mall I went across the street to Carrabba's Italian Grill and had a delicious meal followed by some Blue Bell!!!! It was HEAVENLY!!:)

~Jenny