
Hi. I'm developing some theories about blogs. One theory (that is almost a fact, from the random samples I've done) is that people read more than they write. So after scanning all my favorite blogs this morning and finding nothing new I thought I'd better avoid another tag frenzy by writing something fresh on mine.
How blogdom is like a small town (in a good way):
- In a small town, everybody knows who your "people" are. Where you come from. Who your grandpa is. What your parents look like. What you've liked since you were a kid. You have a history--it's not just the now and small talk of a three month acquaintance. Since bloggers are writing for their family and friends and selves, all of this starts to come out. Knowing what some of my ward friends' parents look like helps me know the friend better and my parents can know the families we run with here (assuming they go past our page).
- When anything noteworthy happens in a person's life, the town knows; either from standing on the curb watching the ambulance (and filling each other in) or from watering the neighbor's plants while they're gone for a wedding, etc. Now, the blogger gets to decide what is postworthy. But once they do, people can know better what's going on in the many spheres of their life: in their mind/spirit, family, relatives, interests. Because no one's going to go systematically through the ward list and say "hey jenny, i had a no good very bad day. here's details. k-i've got to go call mary . . . and nancy . . . and olive" and on down.
People are able to love you better when they know what's going on with you.
So those are my thoughts . . . now readers (and writers) of blogdom, go add yours. ;)
***Children were mildly harmed in the making of this post. They were watching t.v. and not getting their breakfast before 10am . . . Yikes!
3 comments:
Great post, Emily. I couldn't agree more.
Coming from a small town I can see the similarities you have posted. And yes... I too read much more than I write!!
I'm guilty! I read more than I write.
Post a Comment