7.30.2007

Monday is not a holy day

So I read this really great article in this month’s Ensign and I committed myself to read the Book of Mormon for 30 minutes a day. This is how it went this morning:

Verses read before a tantrum was being screamed: 2
Amount of time with a child crying: 28 minutes
Average number of children crying: 1.5
Minutes before one child climbed on me: 1
Minutes before both children were on me:5
Minutes before children were trying to hit each other while on me:1
Times I lost my temper before turning hypocritically back to the scriptures: 2 in the first 5 minutes
Minutes before I went and hid (in the bathroom): 8
Minutes before a child was raging outside the door:2
Minutes both children were raging and kicking outside the locked door with the fan on: 2
Minutes into the 30 min that children were deposited into their beds: 14
Minutes into the half hour that I gave up and turned on the computer for this blog: 22
Minutes before Simon came out and gave me a hug: 5

So I don’t feel as guilty as I had that I haven’t been accomplishing very much scripture reading—but this just proves how much our home really needs it . . . til tomorrow—not giving up!

4 comments:

Emma said...

that's how it goes. It will get better I promise. I don't know if it's age or time, but my kids usually let me read in peace now!

Anonymous said...

That was so funny! I can totally relate! It's nice to hear how other people try to manage - our family scripture study is also very similar. I love how you hid in the bathroom and the kids started kicking the door. That exact thing happens here all the time. :)

Ginger said...

I hear you. I hear you. I hear you! I have fond memories of kneeling against the door while I say my morning prayers while little boys pound on it and attempt to open it on the other side. My new genius idea was to wake up at 5:30am to read my scriptures since my boys never get up before six. Of course, the first day I tried it they all decided that 5:30am was their new wake up time. Just do your best. I really think the Lord is understanding of mothers with little children.

Nancy said...

Wow, you had me laughing! Our problem is that when we sit down to read as a family, Jaron barfs on one of us. It's a bit distracting.