
I can't stop thinking about this book! Since you probably can't read the fine print on the cover above and I can't make the image I snagged from my library's website bigger (help, fellow bloggers!) it is Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First 100 years. The women write it when they are 101 and 103 and have lived through an amazing amount of American /African American history. They come from a family of 10 accomplished children with amazing emulate-able parents. Their father was freed from slavery as a child and their mother could have passed for white but chose not to. It's just full of social history, anecdotes, hard work, humor, and good perspectives. They have a rare and especially human vantage point, with all of the decades they experienced first-hand; as Bessie says "Truth is, I never thought I'd see the day when people would be interested in hearing what two old Negro women have to say. Life still surprises me."
Now go check it out today--it was on the bestseller's list for a reason!
No comments:
Post a Comment