5.13.2010

Busted.


Mark comes home from work while the rest of us are sitting at dinner and is bemoaning to me that he went to a study group and they were all throwing around the "F"-word a lot. One of those conversations that you think you're having over the top of the kids' heads.

Allianna, to me: What is the "F"-word?

E: I'll let your dad answer that. [He brought it up after all!] Mark?

M: It's the very worst word you can say. You don't need to know it. It's very bad.



S: Is it "faint"? [phonics training is working at kindergarten!]

A: Is it "fan"?

They rapidly suggest lots of other "F"-words.

E: If you know it, it's not the word. You don't know this word.

A, contemplating: The "s"-word is "stupid".

E: That's one of them.

A: I know what the "B"-word is.

Not to be outdone, S: I know the "H-word". [walks over to Mom and whispers in her ear] It's hate. One time at pre-K [last year] Amirah yelled at lunch that someone used the "h"-word!

A: I know what the "B-word" is. I know it. It's "BUST-ed". "Buuus-TED."

S: Yeah, you're right. It is "Busted."

A: Busted. Busted. BUH-sted. [she likes the way it rolls off her tongue. she uses it in regular life almost as well as an adult uses the "d"-word. ]


Which fortunately didn't come up tonight.

8 comments:

Alanna said...

Ha ha!!! Don't you wish you didn't know the real bad words?
My poor sister got asked by her 6 year old niece what the f-word meant... except she didn't say "f-word", she said the actual word over and over again as she pleaded to be enlightened. Meanwhile my sister was just dying and pleaded with her to stop, "It's just a REALLY bad word."
Finally she says, "Is it like as bad as stupid?"
"Yeah, that bad!"

Bethany said...

Whuuuuh oh. I thought we just were having a conversation about trying to RESTRICT potty talk at the dinner table!! :)

Cody picks up all sorts of words. Somehow he gets all of the little "stupid"s and "idiot"s and all of those little words that get tucked into movies. The other day, he called Nathan a "mugger," and Nathan promptly came to tattle. (Mugger is used in the movie Robots, and Cody must have thought it was REALLY bad. Well, so did Nathan. I think they were both a little disappointed when I didn't react. Kind of like Buuuuuhhhhhh-sted. MUgger. It just SOUNDS bad. :)

tyler said...

It's funny how even regular words can sound sick and wrong coming from a sweet 5 yr. old...

jayna said...

Oh man. He hates it when I do that....the last comment was from ME, not my husband.

Although we are like-minded on this subject... :)

Lindsay said...

Jeepers. Lance has been adding "face" or "head" to his words and using them like a swear. Example, "car face" or "juice head," etc. One that he says a lot is "foot head," but with his little kid accent kind of sounds like "sh*t head." So, what do I do about THAT?
Oh, another thing about bad words-- CARS and Home Alone (L&L's faves) are chock-full of all kinds of nasties. I never realized before! Thanks a ton, PIXAR...BUH-sted!

Sheralie said...

I love all of your posts, even if I don't comment. This one is hilarious. I think you handled it well. I love hearing a conversation from your family. And I love how sweetly you have raised your children that Busted is the worst B word they know :)

BTW I just learned the f word in Spanish because, apparently, it isn't one in Spain, where my textbook was made. Thank you Spanish teacher.

Natalie said...

Well, at least they don't know the real ones! When I was a kid I thought the "sh" word was shut up. I don't think I learned otherwise until I was in junior high. :)

Todd and Heather Moulton said...

Love it! May they all stay young and innocent!