7.22.2009

Cancer-free that's me!




I'm happy to be a part of my cancer center's slogan. I went back for my check-ups recently--a year and half since my diagnosis--and through ultrasound and blood tests they determined that there is no detectable thyroid cancer. I'm really glad. I knew those would probably be the results I'd have, but I always get a little nervous the day or so before my appointments. It's really nice to have your doctor say "You're my most consistent patient!" meaning that all my levels that were supposed to get really low (near zero) and stay there have done so over the last year. It makes me want a "Have you hugged your endocrinologist lately?" T-shirt. The other fabulous thing is that I can continue to nurse Mary Tessa until she weans in the next 6 months or so, with no adverse effects on my health. Last year quite a few less-experienced doctors were not giving us that option. I remember hearing a woman with my same cancer say that a year later she looked back and thought "Did that really happen to me? It feels like a dream, my life is so normal now." I'm not quite ready to say that, but I am happy with how little my diagnosis affects my everyday now (beyond my morning granny pill).

13 comments:

The Rowes said...

Congratulations... is that the right thing to say? Well, I'm still glad to hear that the tests came back and said you didn't have the cancer anymore. That is defintely something to celebrate.

Bethany said...

Atta girl. A morning granny pill makes you interesting.

Cancer free is the way to be!

Lindsay said...

Cancer free...YIPPEE!

Anonymous said...

Way to be healthy Emily! Also, thanks for the tip in an earlier post about the free pools here - awesome! I called today and found out they have free youth sports programs. If Simon is interested in soccer, maybe we can sign him and Ben up together.

Amanda Jean said...

That is wonderful news. It's always something that stops me in my tracks thinking that you had cancer.
Love you and miss you!
(Oh, and the table isn't from back in the day-but almost that old.)

Anna Min said...

We are so happy to hear you are healthy! And that it is not interrupting your life too much...anymore anyway:)
Love you all!

Unknown said...

YAY! This is such great news Emily:)

BenKels&kiddos said...

That is so cool! We are very happy to hear the good news. You must be doing something right...word of wisdom? I think so.

Lupita said...

That's great news! And isn't it wonderful to have competent AND caring health care professionals? I don't know why they have to be a commodity nowadays; which is why I love MDA, I'm not biased or anything. ;)

brandonm said...

I'm so glad to hear this wonderful news! My wife Meghan has hypothyroidism (from an earlier bout with Graves Disease which necessitated the removal of her thyroid), and although that is nothing near as bad as cancer, we do know all about visits to the endocrinologist and the hormonal issues that accompany thyroid problems. Best wishes for continued health! How long until Mark completes his degree? We're moving to Denver next week--Mark: your assignment is to find a job in Denver so we can start hanging out again!

Nolte's South of the Border said...

Great news! We are so glad to hear it. Congratulations!

Alanna said...

I'm so glad you're doing well! I still can't believe you had to go through that. Life's so fragile.

Julianne said...

I am so glad that things are going well. Hopefully the day is not too far off when this is only a faint memory.