Anyway, my treatment team consists of an endocrinologist and an ENT surgeon. Our first endocrinologist gave us the happy news that my surgery could wait until about a month after delivery. Hooray, I had my birth back in my hands, or, back in my . . . rather. Oh yeah, this is what the treatment will be:
- a thyroidectomy to completely remove my thyroid and other bad nodes. I take thyroid replacement pills daily forever (my first old lady pill!) like many people with thyroid issues.
- swallowing a dose of radioactive iodine. Thyroid cells are the only cells that take up iodine (all you former KeyClub-ers remember the fundraising to prevent goiters in developing countries by supplying iodine?) and so any remaining microscopic thyroid cell guys are zapped by the radioactive stuff.
- following me for recurrance (easily treatable with iodine) at intervals throughout my life. But, basically, I'm done, I'm normal and I can forget about cancer.
Now, my first team of physicians said I had to have the iodine about 6wks post-surgery. And that that would be the end of breastfeeding. Really pretty devastating--I looked into lots of options: pumping and dumping for MONTHS, getting friends to donate, being fine with formula, researching medical journals online, consulting medical friends, etc.
However, here in H*town we have one of the world's largest cancer centers. Mark works there, even. So we wondered if we should go there, but second-guessed ourselves because the treatment for my cancer is so "simple." Finally, in my very last, "sea-going barge" weeks of pregnancy I managed to make all the calls and get the records submitted to be seen at the ol' MDACC. They scheduled me for a day full of various appts the day before my due date. I was really begrudging having to ask more friends to babysit for a marathon day (between all my midwife appts and all the diagnostic appts of the past few months, many of our friends have been very gracious). But it turned out to be a surprisingly wonderful day!
Our endocrinologist was fabulous and much more human and emphathetic than our previous one; he was even the one to bring up extending breastfeeding by delaying the iodine treatment (and monitoring my thyroid levels in my blood)! In many ways, treatment and staff at the Cancer Center are night and day different from the other local hospital--I cannot recommend them highly enough!!!! So if you ever find yourself in a cancerous situation, go there. The previous dr.s I was with were completely competent, but the ones now are just fabulous (very talented, willing to not just follow the book and treat each *individual* as such, and so experienced)!!!
So, with that vote of confidence, I report for surgery tomorrow morning . . .
My mom and sister are coming in to be the mom for the next week and a half and gals from Relief Society at church are helping with lots of meals and babysitting. It's been a long crazy road, but I've felt the powers of heaven close many times.
There may be a blog-hiatus, but now you know why ;)
By the way, Mary Tessa's still VERY cute . . . I've got blessing pictures for her that you can anticipate the posting of.
13 comments:
I'll be praying for you Emily!!! Call me if can watch your kids for you.
btw, I miss you in Primary!
Wow. That's so much to think about. I've been taking thyroid medication for 7 years now, but I can't imagine having surgery. I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. I look forward to reading a recap and seeing those beautiful blessing pictures. thank-you for sharing. We'll be praying for you.
Holy mackerel. What a shocking post! It seems like you have a lot going in your favor, which is great. I'm glad things went better at your second opinion. I would have been devastated to lose a chance to nurse one of mine too. That's awesome they are willing to work things out so you can. We're saying prayers for you around here. Best of luck tomorrow!
Wow, Emily. I'm glad you posted this. Know that we are thinking about you and praying for you. Also, if you ever find yourself in need of milk donations, I'm up here lactating away! oxoxo
I have been taking thyroid medication for 9 years. I'm so sorry to hear that you have to have surgery. You will definitely be in our prayers.
Good luck with the surgery Emily. Your in my prayers. I love that picture of you and your sweet little lady.
Wow...that is quite a lot going on in your house. Aren't you too young for cancer? Isn't that an old person issue? Kidding.
I am so sorry you have to deal with this, but it sounds like you are in a good place. You are a wonderful woman. Peace be with you.
Mark like you my secret passion is reading other peoples blogs. I feel like I am hanging out with friends that way. I love you guys so much. We are praying for you guys especially for you Emily. I found myself praying for you while I was running yesterday. All our love Nate (and Kristen and Scout)
Hi, this is Ali Seaman, Scott Seaman's wife (he served with your husband...hope you remember us). We thought, Oh, we'll see how they're doing and it was so shocking to read about your cancer! So sorry! Glad it is the most treatable kind. You're in our prayers.
I must say that you are so positive and downright funny! We were laughing through the rest of your posts. Your kids are cuties. It was great to see you (on the blog, of course!). Ours is seamancrew.blogspot.com. Good luck on your surgery and new babe!
hope everything went as well as possible and that you are recovering quickly! what a strong woman you are!
I'll be praying for you Emily! I'm so sorry to hear about all this.
I hope all went well for your surgery, and everything after. Let me know what I can do for you until of course I have to go in for my baby.
Post a Comment