Way back in December I broke a string on my viola, the day before I was supposed to play in a welcome slew of Christmas music events at church. So I had to track down an instrument shop. There are generally two types of these: 1) megamusic shops that carry tons of beginner piano music and drums and band instruments and some token string stuff, or 2) charming string shops that make you feel like you've stepped into a little bit of Italy (see Nancy's recent Cremona post). I was delighted to find one of the latter and as an added bonus it's a working luthier shop.While there, the girl working there asked what orchestra I played with, and I somewhat sheepishly answered that I play mostly just at church (imagine Alli and Simon milling around my prego belly to complete the image). She recruited me to be a part of the chamber orchestra she plays in--it's so great to be a viola player because you're always in demand for great opportunities like these.

So in January I began rehearsing with the H* Sinfonietta, which has these great features:
- the best name of any group I've ever played with--and I'd never even heard the term before. It's not a symphony (those are too large), it's not an orchestra (generally strings only), it's got a little Euro spelling and flair (and an older little Greek conductor--all adjectives meant to be complimentary).
- the string sections are small--3-6 players in each. If you're a string player in my area, you should join up!!!
- a full and talented woodwind and brass section
- a concert on March 9--just early enough that I can be sure that I won't burst before then.
4 comments:
This is GREAT Emily! Good for you!
Congratulations! Will you be able to continue after the baby?
Though I am in Italy, I am jealous of your opportunity. I should have bought some new strings while I was in Cremona... darn it. Why do have these great ideas too late? You are lucky... a good woodwind & brass section... if you know what I mean.
Nancy, i KNEW you would know what I mean . . . ;)
Post a Comment