The last few weeks I've been having fun with comments from grocery clerks, parents at the kids' school, and grannies at church. Pregnant with a smile, that's my job in public now.
Other mom, seeing me on approach to the school: "You must be soo ready! It's got to be soon!"
Me: Oh nope, I have til August. [her face falls] We're just going to spend the whole summer at the pool! [smile]
Clerk: Is THAT a boy or a girl?
Me: Oh, it's a surprise. [smile]
Clerk, looking like I should have planned better since I'll obviously be having to cloth THAT any day now, and crestfallen when she hears that THAT won't be born til August: [speechless].
Walking up with the three kids to sit in a pew I hear:
Church Grandma, with southern accent: My my my dear, you must be ready. It must be close!
Me: Oh, a few more months still. In August.
CG: Well.
We settle in in front of her, with hair all combed (triumph!), feeling like we all look pretty good.
CG: Now, honey, you're sure it's not twins.
Me: Nope, it's not. [SMILE] I'm just nice and stretched out from these three good kids here. [SMILE]
CG: Well, honey.
Me: Plus, these are Mark Nolte's kids--these are long kids! [SMILE]
When Mark arrives a little bit later:
CG: I told your wife she looked so ready and is she sure it isn't twins?!
He swears he didn't hear a thing from this conversation.
![]() |
| 2nd pregnancy (my brother Adam taking his sweet time in the womb) |
![]() | |||
| 3rd pregnancy (my bro Aaron, first to be born at 1412 where Mom and Dad still are) |
![]() |
| 4th pregnancy (Me! Ta Da!) |
![]() |
| 1st pregnancy (less space for my sister Catherine, no wonder she's such a good yogi!) |
I've been telling people to just enjoy the show and watch as I grow, because it's going to get EPIC.
After all, do you expect people like me or this baby to get to this world in any less dramatic a fashion? Plus, Mark says thinking about about womb life makes him absolutely claustrophobic. I do what I can.
[I wanted to put the baby picture here, but new-fangled blogger be possessed].
Maybe I'll even manage to get a current photo up, but this blogging thing has already taken way too long. There are starving 4 year olds and libraries to attend to.





7 comments:
Emily!! I have missed you! Congrats on baby #4! I must see a picture because I'm sure you are not as big as these people think you are!
Just enjoy the freak show. Thats what I tell the innocent bystanders that openly and loudly proclaimed my insanity when I strolled pregnant through public areas toting around my Gaint self. I had the BIGGEST cankles you've ever seen when I was pregnant with Brigitte. Plus I gained 40+ pounds so I looked puffy beyond belief! People were very open with me about how shocked they were at my transformation. But the good news is of course that eventually you will deflate to your normal size and then the mocking will change to "how many did you say you were going to have?"
Congratulations on #4! Unlike weirdo store people, I feel like I just heard you were pregnant and here you are due SOON. August is SOON. Just sayin'. I think when people give you guff about how long before you're due, don't tell them a due date. Just vaguely reply "I have no concept of time..." while you drift away. Except I don't think you CAN drift. Waddle if you must! :) As another spouse of a TALL drink of water, I hear ya on the long new humans. Geez. Like that doesn't take some space! I adored those old family pictures- your parents young selves were so awesome! Suzanne rocked that last baby Emily bump! (Although, I suggest you stay away from tented jumper dresses if at all possible...)
That was my favorite dress (made it myself). I should have saved it for Emily.
Enjoyed this very much, thank you! Especially the old photos from your awesome mama. :) And since I see you practically every other day I can vouch for everyone else that you are truly beautifully pregnant and smiling but not that big! Sheesh. :)
Ha ha ha. Oh, I go away to New York and YOU POST. What the FLIYP.
Aunt Suze, you are SO CUTE in those pregnancy pictures. And Emily was worth it.
And Christy, I saw you pregnant, and your extra 40 pounds was no freak show. Sorry. Call me back when you top 60 pounds. Then let's talk.
Also, this has been my life with every single pregnancy, even my first. I think all people are under the impression that a 7 month belly is full term. And those people with those little basketball bellies aren't helping anything.
Also, I have been asked often about this pregnancy as well (though the asking my strangers hasn't started yet because I am not FULLY WILDLY showing, but I'm so much more at peace with it this time than previously. I'm just like, "Yeap. This is number 4. So?"
Well, good talk. I thought you were going to post the Mother's Day questions! You should! Don't you think we'd all enjoy seeing what your kids think about you??
B
First, congratulations!! I am so happy for your family! Second, I would love to have a baby belly that looks like that! Finally on baby #3 a stranger asked when I was due. I was so excited to finally look pregnant rather than "is she pregnant, or just fat?" Third, the pictures of your mom and family are adorable, now we need some pictures of you and the kids :)
Post a Comment