3.15.2007

Wanna have Sunday Dinner with us?

So I thought it might be fun to have Sunday dinner together. Though we can't eat at the same place, we can eat the same thing. To start us off is the following recipe. It has lots of things that kids can pick from (I never know from day to day what mine are going to want, beyond cheese). Mark wasn't sure he'd like it, from the name, but when he tried it he really loved it--so give it a try! We were able to have a dinner and two lunch servings--it gets big, so plan accordingly depending on your group. Hope the recipe isn't too hard to read--this was the best I could get my computer to do . . . Oh, and Bon Appetite!




Barbecue Chicken Chop Salad (from my Boise ward cookbook)

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts [I used a 1 lb pkg of ground chicken, which saved me prep time and chopping and decontaminating, but has a different presentation. I just cooked it with the bbq sauce in a skillet]
1 cup barbecue sauce [we like Sweet Baby Ray’s a lot (wow!) but I don’t know if it’s a national brand]
½ head iceberg lettuce, chopped
½ head romaine lettuce, chopped [you could easily increase this amount w/out overpowering the other ingredients]
3 to 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 jicama, peeled and diced [ a light brown root with a sweet taste and crunch. Try to get one about onion size or you might have extra jicama left in the bowl after everything else’s been eaten]
½ c cilantro, chopped [Mark and I never liked cilantro until about 4 months ago and now we can’t get enough—something in the TX air. ]
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. sweet corn
½ lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
Corn tortilla chips, for serving
Ranch dressing

Marinate chicken in bbq sauce, then bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Chop into pieces and refrigerate.
Combine chicken in a large salad bowl with salad ingredients and toss. Serve with Ranch dressing or dressing of your choice. Drizzle bbq sauce over serving and crispy corn tortilla chips.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and wish that I hadn't already done my shopping for the next week +

I will definitely buy the things I don't have already (jicama and lettuce) for next Sunday and we'll vicariously eat with you one week late. -Aimee

Emma said...

Hi Emily, I didn't know you had a blog! How fun. Now I have more to read!!! I found it on Korrin's blog, did you know she started one?

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily! I just found your blog too! It'll be fun to keep up with you this way.